For smooth Ad free experience
'Sharmaji ka beta' might be the most annoying comparison, but here's to one such establishment to come up as one of a kind. The mosque sheltering the education of the majority of the Muslims, here's to the engravings on its walls, roaring glory.
Happened on 14th October 1882
The chapter of British Raj is considered to be the darkest in the history of India. Instances of cruelty, whimpers of those who witnessed the deaths of their dear ones, bloodshed, and a series of quashing, concocted our stained cultural relics. Amidst this tragedy, the only thing with which the British had benefitted us, is the western tide of modernization. Newer and fresher approaches, modern outlook helped us to break free from the shackles of several dateless malpractices and superstitions instilled in the society. From the abolition of Sati to the education of women, without British aid, it would have been impossible.
The British advocated the advent of educational institutions, though for their own purpose par chalo yeh bhi thik hai! Madras, Bombay, and Calcutta were the three most favored children of the British. They were rewarded with major developments and administrative progress. The exception stood upright as the tall tower of the University of Punjab.
The University of Punjab was the fourth university the British had blessed the Indians with on October 14, 1882, after installing the other three in Madras, Bombay, and Calcutta. It was the sweetened fruit of a prolonged struggle of the Punjabis from the end of the 1857 war. The University of Punjab was the starkid; it was a teaching and examining body from its day of foundation, whereas the other three brothers were only examining centers.
Dr. G. W. Leitner and his laborious endeavors were awarded when he was offered the Registrar’s post. During the first and a few crucial decades of the University’s advancement, Professor A. C. Woolner chose to remain as the Vice-Chancellor (1928-36). His statue is positioned at the entrance of the Allama Iqbal Campus.
Allama Iqbal Campus is the old campus, named after the scholastic genius of Pakistan, Allama Muhammad Iqbal. Umar Hayat Malik changed the designation on the seat of Vice-Chancellor after the independence period. Allama Iqbal Campus covers the stretch of the Senate, the Syndicate, the Selection Board, and the Advanced Studies and Research Board. To the south of it, is the New Campus named after the title of Muhammad Ali Jinnah, Quaid-E-Azad, specially crafted for academic and administrative guidance. Others include Gujranwala Campus, Khanspur Campus, Jhelum Campus, and Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Campus.
Prof. Arthur Crompton, the father of the Crompton Effect, was appointed as a lecturer in the University, alongwith Government College University, a college affiliated to The University of Punjab but later emerged as an independent University. He won the Nobel Prize in 1927.
The bricks of the University fort are baked red by 13 faculty streams (Engineering and Technology, Science, Health Sciences, Life Sciences, Arts and Humanities, Behavorial and Social Sciences, Economics and Management Sciences, Commerce, Education, Information and Media Studies, Islamic Studies, Law, Oriental Learning and Pharmacy), 10 subordinate colleges, 73 departments and 1306 educationalists (teaching/researcher).
The treasure chest of the University is its library. It’s one of the biggest libraries in Pakistan’s universities. More than 5000 books and journals in print or in DVD, video, and audio cassette, the library is a two-story building holding 2500 readers. It also has an internet lab installed.
You might be interested in reading more from